Thursday, April 14, 2011

Synecdoche

Post #165: Dedicated to: Pagan Angel and A Borrowed Car; Iron & Wine

I really like the word "synecdoche." I remember learning it senior year of high school, and completely butchering the sound. But now that I know how to pronounce it, I love saying it. Now, that being said, I don't use the word synecdoche in everyday language...at all. But I like it for the same reason I like "hegemony." Not necessarily because of what it means, but because its pronunciation makes it so ambiguous and unique. That makes me feel elitist...as if now that I know how to pronounce certain words, I'm elevating my personal status and looking on those poor individuals (much like myself in the past) who don't know how to pronounce it. Yes? No? Regardless, I like that word.

Today's thankfuls:
- TACO DAY. Totally was not expecting taco day today, which was awesome, since surprises in general are just great.
- Finally submitted all my major/minor/concentration paperwork!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whoooo!
- Had a study abroad meeting today and am doubly excited about Denmark. (I don't know if it's possible to be more excited than I am...but I also worry that I'm getting too excited, and I wonder if I should lower my expectations just a bit. Ironically, this is exactly the reason why Denmark is the happiest place in the world - they don't have high expectations.)
- Going to sleep early. My goal? Midnight. Do I have work I could/should be working on? Absolutely. But sleep trumps work tonight. For once. :)

Good night, world. The moon says hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment