Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Capitol Hill

Post #127
This morning I sat in a conference room at the Rayburn House Office building listening to a Palestinian woman and Israeli man discuss the implications and disastrous consequences of America's constant funding of Israel and its military.

I can't describe how incredible it was to be there. For the past two days, I've been reading about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict on wikipedia, in old news articles, in a manuscript dedicated to finding a peaceful resolution to this struggle that has been going on for decades. Human rights violations are occurring every single day in places like Gaza, and I didn't even know about it before the beginning of this week. So it was incredible for me to be there, witnessing these two people (who by their very backgrounds are expected by the world to be the worst of enemies) peacefully inform the audience about the realities of life in Gaza and the Israeli army, and the money that goes behind funding such a brutally violent force.

Today, I feel as though my life might be better spent in dedication to such issues, in opposition to human rights violations and in support of peace and justice.

It's incredible to be in a city where so much political talk takes place – yet the political actions that follow never fail to fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment