Thursday, May 26, 2011

Constant Reminder

Post #182: Dedicated to: Life As We Know It

It never fails to surprise me how much I could not care about something if it's not close to home, if it doesn't affect me, if it's not physically around me.

One such situation I was reminded of today: being born in the right place at the right time to the right family. Being privileged enough to immigrate to America and become a U.S. citizen.

You'd think that after taking a class titled Conflict and Inequality in Latin America, I'd have learned all about immigration. Which I did. In fact, I even did my final media presentation project on migration within and out of Mexico. But still, I forgot that I knew people who had immigrated, who weren't citizens – who weren't allowed to legally be in America at all.

I can't even begin to imagine what that would be like. Not being allowed a drivers license...financial aid for college? And so many other "privileges"...just makes me appreciate what I have so much more. It's a constant reminder to thank my lucky stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment