Friday, February 25, 2011

Ode to Borders

Post #122: Dedicated to: Blue Skies Again; Jessica Lea Mayfield


The only Borders in my hometown is closing. I don't know why that makes me so sad.

Maybe it's because for my 16th birthday, my friends at church pooled together their money and bought me a $160 gift card for Borders, which was all used up within a month. Maybe it's because Seattle's Best Coffee had the best hot chocolate in the world. Maybe it's because I could and would spend hours perusing the Paperchase section. Maybe it's because before or after every movie, I'd walk into Borders - without agenda, just walking around - and more often than not, leave with a new book in hand. Maybe it's because every time I was home for break, I couldn't wait to go to Borders to use my coupons for a new read. Maybe it's because when I was so frustrated the Lakers were losing the championship game, the first place I went to was Borders to buy Commencement. Maybe it's because I bought a new school planner there every year. Maybe it's because of those sparkly llamas or miniature Christmas trees and ornaments I promised I'd buy next holiday season. Maybe it's because the first and only time I ever won something - the first spot in line for Breaking Dawn - happened at a midnight release party in that Borders.

It seems stupid, I know. But if home is where the heart is, my home was Borders. That Borders, the one next to the movie theater and Tilt, the one that made you get a token from the front desk if you wanted to use the bathroom, the one with the beautifully crafted versions of classic literature. Where I went to waste time. Where I went to spend time. Where I went to love time.

Bye, Borders. I'll miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment