Friday, July 2, 2010

Too Soon

Post #52: Dedicated to: Prep, by Curtis Sittenfeld

It's July.

It's July?!?!?!?!?!?

I have been home for almost two whole months now...and time is going by crazy fast. Too fast. Wayy, toooo fast.

At the same time, though, I can't wait to be back at school. Every once in a while, I'm hit with a sudden homesickness. The smell of a certain day...the feeling of hitting the bed after a long day...the walk in the sunshine to work...the working at the library until wee hours of the morning...I miss it. So much so that I feel like school is my home. This home, the home where I'm at now, is my second home. Strange? At least it'll make it easier to adapt to living on the East Coast, right?

Anyway, it's been two months and I haven't accomplished any of the things I want to do. Furthermore, (I feel like I'm writing an English paper. I was about to use the word "moreover," but decided "furthermore" would be more...colloquial. If at all) my plans are changing. Plans for the school year.

For example: I was going to take Tonal Harmony I - a class in which I would need substantial piano skills. That I don't currently have. So seeing as how my mother used to be a piano teacher and all, I thought I'd re-learn how to play. Especially my left hand, aka the bass clef. But I haven't touched a piano since I got home, because I don't think I'm going to be taking this class anymore. Still...better to be safe than sorry, right? so I should learn? Just in case?

Example #2: I thought I would be joining orchestra in the fall. And, since I haven't played violin in over a year, I really need to brush up on my skills. And practice a song and some scales to audition with. Have I touched my violin since I got home? Why, yes. Once. And I'm not so sure anymore that I want to join orchestra. But again, I really don't know...and it's better to start practicing now just in case...right?

Boy. What an unproductive summer. (In terms of my personal goals.) My writing is significantly slowing down, to the point where it's a good day if I add a few sentences to the story. A bad day would be me not even opening the document. Which, when you add it all up...it's generally always pretty much a bad day.

I've got one more month left to make it all count. And I will. Make. It. All. Count.

Because it's going to be the one last final summer I have. I'm going to make my future happen, no matter what.



p.s. If anyone can find me a poster print of the CA picture, I would love you forever and a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment