Monday, July 12, 2010

Let the Son Shine

Post #55

This weekend was great. Truly, spectacularly, great.

I think I enjoyed being a counselor more than a camper, because it gave me license to be enthusiastic and loud at all times, and I think my campers appreciated that. (At least, I hope so! Ha.)

I'll admit, I was worried before, because:

1) I didn't know many of the new kids, and I didn't think they'd be...fun. Or nice. (Which they were.)
2) It was my first year as a counselor, and I really had no idea what to expect, or how I would act...how I would treat the kids and my position, etc.

But it was so great, and so worth it. It didn't really matter (it doesn't really matter) how my group placed in the end, because I'm pretty sure we all had a lot of fun. Especially as we were preparing our skit - we'd break out laughing as soon as A- started reciting his lines, because the whole thing was just so ridiculous. I hope my kids felt the same way I did. And I'm glad some of them came out of their shells.

As I was sitting in front of the fire Saturday night, listening to the stream of random, quiet, shy kids (full of surprises) come up and talk, to spill their hearts, I was awed. I was awed and in awe of the success that camp appeared to be, and how great, how truly amazing, these kids were. They're all good kids, deep down, and now I know. And now I know they'll try their hardest to be devoted to youth group, to coming out to church, and that's all we can ask for. And we pray their faith strengthens more and more as they grow up and mature.

I came into this weekend with no idea of what I would get out. And what I got out was priceless. I met and talked to so, so, so many amazing kids, and I had oodles of fun. Yes, oodles of fun.

(Also, D- and V-, I love you guys. Really. You bring out the best in me, and the laughter never stops when we're together.)

To so many more great summer memories to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment