Tuesday, August 23, 2011

And Here We Go

Post #206

Sorry I have been so MIA lately. It's been crazy getting adjusted (ish), losing my luggage (both suitcases successfully here!) and all. But now I'm okay. I think.

I've also finally decided I'm going to start a new, separate study abroad blog. (I'll share the link for that here soon enough...when I actually start it...) I thought about just using this blog and writing new, study abroad-related posts...but then decided that some of the stuff here is just too personal that I don't want everyone reading.

But anyway...I had a frustrating day today. Well, just a frustrating couple of hours. I was lugging my 50lb suitcase and a huge bag (it probably weighs more than my suitcase, is giant and blue and an IKEA bag) of books for my classes and walking to the train station with my housemates. My housemates ended up ditching me - although whether that was accidental, a misunderstanding, or intentional, I don't know - and I lugged all my stuff on to the train by myself only to realize once I sat down that the front pocket of my backpack was open, and my wallet missing. Yeah. I have to say, sitting at the bus stop alone, with a stolen wallet, a suitcase, and a huge bag of books, waiting for the bus to arrive was the loneliest I've felt in a long time.

And yes, I realize that although Copenhagen is a very safe city, pickpocketing does indeed happen. I'm sure I was quite an easy target, though - both hands full with so much heavy stuff, and just a backpack with no one around me. (I can't help but think that if my housemates were there, this wouldn't have happened...) But at least nothing too important was in there - just around $20 USD, debit card, license, school ID...all things replaceable. Thank the Lord that my Dad made me change a lot of cash to kroner before coming - and that it was all in my suitcase, NOT my wallet. In any case, it was a frustrating/annoying experience, and I curse myself for being so stupid.

Moving on to my housemates...it's only the 2nd day, and I seem to have made new friends. At least, there's a group of people that I hang out with - walk to and from places, etc - and enjoy talking to...but it seems that all of those people very much like to party. Like, I want to get trashed and shit-faced. As in, came abroad for the sole purpose of partying. And not just partying, but doing other...shall we say, frowned upon, things (that they all seem to have tried before). Aaaand...well, that's just not something I'm into, or want to be around. (Also, definitely strictly prohibited not only in the study abroad program, but also the country.) So I'm not sure where things will be headed - if I turn down every offer to go party (which I obviously won't - I'll have a good time when I want to have a good time), I feel that it will isolate me, but I don't want to be around frowned upon things in the least. I don't know. I definitely value my education and am going to take my classes seriously and equally as importantly, I plan on having a good time - even if that good time doesn't involve getting inebriated. I'm really not here just to waste my money on alcohol and other such things.

I hope, though, that if the opportunity arises, I will tell them these things and they will respect my decisions not to partake in all that they do. Or else...I'm going to have to find some new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment