Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Simple Truth

Post #26: Dedicated to: Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley


We went to Universal Studios as a special treat: me, my brother, my brother's friend Ryan, my mom, dad, aunt, and my mom's friend and her kids from Korea.

I was embarrassed. Why? It was "Buy a day, get a year free!" at the park. In order to save some money on ticket prices, my father insisted I was younger than my actual age. Me, my older brother, and my brother's friend pretended to be little kids again, just to save a few bucks. It struck a chord. I'd think, my friends' families wouldn't do this. They'd pay the real price. We're just too cheap and frugal. I was embarrassed.

Of course, it was Universal Studios. I got over it, soon. Actually, I think it was the minute we walked into the maze of The Mummy. (Yes, back in the day, The Mummy was not a ride. It was a walk-through maze. And it was the scariest thing ever.) I was scared out of my wits. Think spider webs, beetles, darkness, mummies...

What I remember next is the fondest memory of the day. My dad leading the way, my mom behind him with her hands on his shoulders, then me with my hands on her shoulders (eyes closed, of course), my brother, my brother's friend, my mom's friend, her kids, my aunt....We were just one extremely long string of people too scared to walk through alone. I never opened my eyes once, trusting my dad to lead the way. I laughed, though, many times. It was just plain funny. Quite a sight to see.

I love my family. And I don't say it enough. It's the simple truth.

5 comments:

  1. bwahahahha. I get what you're talking about. I used to do that back in the day when hometown buffet was cheap LOL. (wow. I guess that makes us even cheaper..)

    and GURL. I'm deciding between boston cons and manhattan cons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude. hometown buffet. those were the good times.

    YESSSS. now when i visit my friend at tufts i can swing by you. and if i'm ever in new york i can crash in your dorm ;)

    p.s., check the link i posted on my fb wall of the guy that hates Canon in D. he played cello. it's hilarious, and i think you'll appreciate it hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOLLLL DOODE. Thats such an old video!!! i've seen that before LOLLL! it's hillarious. I FEEL his pain.

    and omg. msm is my all time DREAM #1 school, and idthink I can go.. its so expensive...

    and LOL DOODE! hometown buffet = win

    ReplyDelete