Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Shit Just Hit The Fan

Post #228

It really bugs me sometimes about how race is treated in America. I am an immigrant from South Korea. You are not. I am Asian in a white world, and I have to live with that. You do not. Growing up, I've been ashamed of my parents' lack of English-speaking skills on multiple occasions (as much as that fact shames me). You have not. Whenever something reasonably traumatic happens to me, the first thought I think is: is it because I'm Asian? You do not. When I look at myself in the mirror, I don't see a female – I see an Asian female. You do not. I'm intensely, incredibly aware whenever I'm the only Asian in a group of white people, or when I'm with a large group of Asians surrounded by white people. You are not.

And I'm okay with that.

Apparently, you are not.

It seems to me that oftentimes when race issues come up, you are the first to speak. And you think you're doing right by it, you're achieving justice in the world. You think everyone else should stand up next to you and do the same.

But guess what? At the end of the day, you go home and you continue living in your invisible seat of white privilege.

I do not.

No comments:

Post a Comment