Monday, March 12, 2012

Beautiful Monday

Post #249: Dedicated to: First Day of My Life; Bright Eyes
Today has been a wonderful day. I had to wake up early to head to the Admissions Office for my 9 am hosting shift, but the office was bustling with prospective students and parents who were curious and open-minded, who I thoroughly enjoyed chatting with. I also had a rather large tour group in the afternoon (and only my third tour, ever!) that went quite well – sometimes the thoughts you want to get out translate perfectly into coherent sentences. At the end, a mother and daughter I particularly connected with told me that this was now their favorite school, and I was far better than any other tour guide they'd ever had. Plus the weather outside was (is) fantastic: sun and high 60's all day long.

Suffice to say, it was a great day.

And then I called my mother, to ask her to send me a copy of my passport and some shoes I had accidentally left behind. I was in such a great mood, I told her all about my day and my tour and what a wonderful Monday it was so far, and she tells me (more or less): that's wonderful, but tour guide isn't so much what I'm concerned about; I'm really more concerned about your work and your grades.

Sometimes I really really really wish that me – just me, stripped of all academics – was enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment