Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Yes, Please!

Post #234: Dedicated to: After Midnight; Blink-182
Being home means I get to do wonderful things like make homemade marshmallows with M-!
It was quite fun! Well, I mostly just watched...and then dried dishes at the end of the night.
We used Alton Brown's recipe to make these vanilla flavored marshmallows – they were a bit too vanilla-y, and M-'s mom thought the vanilla extract should be replaced with real vanilla beans, and I wholeheartedly agree. It was still delicious, though!
The little marshmallow cubes were so fun. They're just so jiggly and cheerful on the tray! It was fun to poke them, and coating them/tapping off the powdered sugar was a joyful task.

M-'s mom spent a lot of time upon completion looking up ways to tweak the recipe – there are a ton of ideas out there. Peppermint marshmallows, mocha marshmallows, chocolate marshmallows, marshmallows cut into cute shapes...the list goes on and on.

Seriously, though. You should make your own marshmallows! They're sooooooo much better than the store-bought ones, and they weren't hard to make at all! Although you do need a stand mixer – apparently the motor will burn out on hand-held ones...which unfortunately means I will be unable to make these at my own home. (I'm waiting to invest in a fun-colored kitchen-aid stand mixer until I move into my own place!)

No comments:

Post a Comment